The church building is often called the Igloo Church, and is a famous landmark in the region. It is the most-photographed building in Inuvik. It was built in two years and finished in 1960. The interior is decorated with paintings by Inuit artist Mona Thrasher
The people of Our Lady of Victory Parish are very warm and welcoming. You will feel most at home here. Our vision statement for the community reminds us that when people look at us we want them to say, “See those Christians, how they love one another!”
We, the Parish of Our Lady of Victory, proclaim with joy the presence of Jesus in the world through God’s Word, Sacraments and good deeds. It is through our discipleship that we recognize our connection to God, our neighbour and our deepest spiritual selves. We seek to live out the Good News of Jesus Christ by:
- Welcoming all with kindness, compassion and hospitality.
- Nourishing the faith life of the community through prayer, fellowship and education.
- Reverencing the dignity of each person by celebrating the beauty of life from conception to natural death.
- Nurturing the gifts of all so that each person may live out his or her unique and personal call from God.
- Caring for the needs of the less fortunate by empowering our parish community to answer that call.